Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The (Body) Machine Shop

      To my dismay, I have become way too familiar with the physical therapy clinic. Because I am a highly active person who also happens to have inherited arthritic tendencies, I have become a fairly regular visitor at PT over the past ten years.  The sessions have sometimes been related to the arthritis issues but sometimes are a result of overuse or accidents that have occurred because I like to move. No matter why I am going there,  I am grateful that I have access to physical therapy (even if it is a literal pain and a disruption to my day).  I am also finding the clinic to be an interesting classroom for the study of human beings.

   When I walk in for any appointment, I take in the big room with all the equipment and the various combinations of therapist/patient at work.  It's odd to me that, although this is a medical establishment, privacy is not a priority.  The room is open and the conversations are accessible for anyone in the room.  My current therapy is entirely related to the joint replacement surgery that I had on my right hand  in early March. I am primarily ensconced at a table in the "hand section" of the office.  I mostly sit at the table while my hand is massaged and manipulated, electrified and examined, heated and cooled.  I do WWF, or make with the chit chat with the therapist or sometimes other patients who are also having their hands entertained.  But mostly?  Mostly I just watch the people there.

     People come in with their broken body parts, each broken in its own way and each significant to the owner.  But to the physical therapists, each body part seems to be just that - a broken part of the machine.  Isolate the problem and attack.  Most of the PT's, frankly, look bored. As in, here I am repeating these same old knee exercises for, what, the 5th time today?  the 10th time this week?  the 100th time this year?  They stare off out the window or make jokes with the other PT's while their victim groans their way through the exercises.

   The patients are a diverse lot.  They are a collection of bodies, more over 40 years old than under 40.  Most seem perplexed or uncomfortable with the exercises. It's almost as if they don't know that part of their body very well. That last description includes me.  The patients come in all sizes and shapes.  Very few fit the cultural profile for attractive but they all come with bodies that are functional and in need of some kind of repair.  I observe some patients just resting on tables or enduring (enjoying?) some hands on therapy.  Awkward.  Some are working out on machines or with big exercise balls or long rubber tubing. Yes, you read that right.  Long rubber tubing that you use to stretch and strengthen muscles (it has been part of some PT sessions in my past).  Most appear not particularly graceful nor comfortable with what they are asked to do but they plod their way through it.  I am more interested in what their faces say than in what their bodies do. Faces say things like, "You want me to do what?" or "Well, this is fun!" or "Is it time to quit yet?".  Or maybe those are just the thoughts in my own head.

     When I walk into the room, I tend to distance myself from the others, as if somehow I am above this.  What's that about?  I am self conscious and wonder what other people watchers are noting about me.  I don't know why this place makes me highly uncomfortable.  Perhaps it speaks to vulnerability and flaws?  That makes sense to me.

     What's your take on physical therapy? Thumbs up or thumbs down?


13 comments:

  1. Perhaps you distance yourself when you're there due to not wanting to cede to vulnerability. It's a very common reaction I wuold think. Just a thought. Have a beautiful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith! It has rained steadily here for two days - sunshine is in the forecast for this afternoon - that will make my Wednesday!
      Perhaps you nailed it with the comment re: vulnerability. I HATE showing vulnerability. As if somehow I can be strong in the face of anything???? Weirdo that I am.

      Delete
  2. Total and complete two thumbs up! You would think that my experience would be confined to my obliterated left knee, but the reality is that I did no PT for that. It was all about my right shoulder, which took five single-spaced pages of typing to completely describe what the surgeon had done for me. The therapist (Richard) was awesome, and I was so in need of the work, that I looked foreword each of the twelve sessions with enthusiasm. And yes, those stretching tubes, which come in many different colors and sizes, were a huge part of my therapy. I used to work with them while Annie and I walked, because I could. The more you work, the sooner you complete the process. I am a believer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have those stretchy tube things from the work that I have done on neck/shoulder issues. I still use them most days in my home exercises - trying to keep more PT at bay. Currently, I wouldn't say I look forward to the sessions with enthusiasm but I know they are helping in the overall recovery. I think initially I was given 20 sessions post surgery but last week they added six more - After I got hit by the truck and recovered from that surgery, I had six months of twice weekly sessions - but 98% recovery attained! Yahoo!

      Delete
  3. My own limited experience with PT for my TMJ was bad, but I think that was just about the provider I had. My husband swore by his PT, thought she was brilliant. I am glad that it is working for you and you are at 98%!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working, yes. But I still don't like to go at all. :(

      Delete
  4. I had to have PT years ago.
    I have two gift certificates for a massage. Everyone tells me it’s a wonderful experience. And that I, especially, would benefit. But I have not gone. I imagine I would feel the same way about a massage as I did with PT.
    For me it’s the too up close and personal, hands on me, that brings about the uncomfortableness.
    I feel the same way about an eye exam, the dentist, and sometimes even the hairdresser. Weird huh?
    But I would enjoy the people watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not weird. I get that. I was never interested in massage until a teacher friend did the training and needed a guinea pig. I was that guinea pig and I still am open to massage from her (ten years later).
      Funny thing is, I am good with hugs - I can and will do that frequently - but I have to be in control on that. I have to be very comfortable with the person. No hugs for people that I don't trust or with whom I don't have a connection. I don't much trust the dentist. I do trust my eye guy (He has been my go to eye guy for 25 years AND we are birthday twins!).
      Hair care people? now that is a whole new post!

      Delete
  5. Writers should always be people watchers.

    I have no specific take on PT. Never been.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps there's a story in all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have so far been PT free. Most people who I know who've participated in it tend to view it as a necessary evil. I'm most interested in the people watching aspect of it--especially the part where you mention feeling self-conscious about being watched. I've often wondered if I'm being watched the way I watch others. I think I try to make myself believe that my degree of nosiness/curiosity is rare and that I am not often the target of someone else's penchant for people watching. To think otherwise might be paralyzing for me. :)

    ReplyDelete