Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Accidents Happen

It was the end of a hard week's work.  Friday afternoon 4:00 - sunny and blue sky pleasant....a 45 minute bike ride in the country west of town would be the perfect punctuation for the long sentence.  Shorts, tank top, and, yes, flip flops and helmet ...Sam the Bike and I headed down Healdsburg Ave to catch High School Road but then that green truck decided to make a right turn into the Safeway parking lot --- SSTTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP - wow!  seriously THUMP - emphasis on the UMP part - and again UMP -- two thoughts:  1) that is the sound of your body hitting the truck and 2)  Damn!  there goes your bike  --  $1,200 -- cha ching!  I hit the ground hard - WAY hard and could do nothing but remain curled up and deep throating OOOOOOOWWWWWWWW  OOOOOOOWWWWWWWW.  I was operating so in the moment and from someplace deep at the core.  No attention to anything but the intense and deep pain - vaguely aware of voices, vaguely aware that I was not seriously broken because I could think, I knew where I was, I knew what was happening.  Feeling the hard ground under me, hearing voices meant to soothe, feeling grateful for strangers. wrapped in to the core pain.
Accidents happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment